Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy 30th Birthday, Andrea!

Happy Birthday to a wonderful sister! As you may know, my sisters and my mom live in Canada, just outside of Calgary, so I won't be able to see her on this momentous occasion. It feels so weird to me that we are all adults now, I still wonder who is in charge sometimes...then realize (sadly) it is me. I am the Mom. YIKES!

However, Andrea is fully capable and in charge and in control of almost all situations it seems like to me. She has a high powered job in Human Resources, a lovely family, and a gorgeous house all running relatively smoothly. She is good with her money and has alot of common sense and is generally someone people admire. I also admire her sense of humor and the way she is raising her boys. I like it when she phones me just to chat. I envy her good looks and respect the fact that she works hard to look so good. I can't seem to find the energy and definitely lack the know how-yet she wields her Chi iron with flair. I wish I was as organized as her and that I put things back where they belong. She is nice to our mom and is BFF with our older sister who lives just across the street. I admire her drive when it comes to getting her degree. She sacrifices her free time in order to better herself. Andrea is generous with her time and will help you- just ask! She consistently makes me laugh and she isn't afraid to tell it to me straight.

Andrea is our little sister and my earliest memory involves her. She was screaming and crying in a white crib in our house in Kingwood...I think we shared a room even though she must have been just under a year old and I was 2. I remeber my Mom was trying to give her a bottle and I just watched the whole scene play out feeling a little resentful of the attention being given to the baby, but also sad that my sister was sad. I have lots of memories about hanging out and having fun with her. We always had alot of the same friends and were so close in age..my dad asked me once who my best friend was and of course, I answered, "Andrea". Now, we've had our rough patches, as sisters will. But, at this very moment, on this very day, I would say she is still one of my best friends.

Andrea and I used to spend so much time together. One of my biggest regrets is that we live so far apart. I would love for our boys to be friends and hang out more than once a year. Friends are great ( we love our buddies), but being with your family and truly calling them friends would be a blessing that my kids just won't have. Not only do I feel like my kids are missing out, I feel like I am missing out. How great to have your sisters there for you any time you needed them and to be there for them. I have so many regrets about things I've missed, especially her wedding and the birth of her two sons. I wish I had been there. I would love to plan impromptu trips and outings with all of us, but our visits are destined to be long drawn out affairs. You know what I mean...airplanes, sleeping arrangements, regular lives put on hold while we invade their households. Yes, these trips are always super fun, but they don't replace a life lived with your family nearby. I know some of you are thinking you would pay good money to live far away from your families, but not me. I just feel lonely sometimes.

This is starting to sound a little weepy and melodramatic, so I will just say a few more things. I love you, Andrea. You are a wonderful woman and I am proud of you. I am very much looking forward to seeing you on MY birthday in a few short weeks and sincerely hope that you and the boys find your way to Texas this summer. It promises to be a good time.

Christi

P.S. Hey, just a question to all...what is the best birthday present you ever got? For me, it was yellow and red roller skates the year I turned 5. Best. Present. Ever. And you know I rocked those skates at the roller rink that day during my party!

1 comment:

Dawna said...

Thanks alot, that made me cry....best gift I think I got was the surprise b-day party you threw me on my d-day when I lived down there. V. surprised - remember Olive Garden??